Recipe by nadia murray
This recipe is for a double crust pie that I got off of the Food Network. It is similar to a peach pie but more luscious because of the mangoes. I suppose this could also be made with peaches but try it with mangoes for a real treat.
Top Review by MarielC
This recipe is delicious and the pie tastes even better the next day. The only change I make is to use only 1 tsp of cinnamon because 2 tsps overpowers the fruit. So easy and so good!
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup ice cold water
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 5 cups mangoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces (4-5 large)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons flour (or more depending on how wet mixture is)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare pie crust by mixing together flour, confectioners sugar, salt and lemon zest.
- Cut butter and shortening into flour mixture to form coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle ice water over and toss until mixture starts to come together.
- Gather it up and press to form ball.
- Divide into 2 parts, form disks and wrap each in plastic.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out half of dough and fit into a 9 inch deep dish pie pan.
- Trim edges.
- Weight and bake bottom crust until light golden brown.
- Remove pie weights and sprinkle crust with almonds and flour and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Allow to cool.
- Prepare filling by combining mango pieces, granulated sugar, almond extract, cinnamon.
- flour, zest and juice.
- Mixture should be moist but not wet.
- Pour into prebaked crust.
- Roll out remaining half of dough and fit over pie.
- Crimp edges and brush top of pie with egg and water wash.
- Cut vents in top and bake 45-50 minutes until crust is golden and filling is tender and bubbly.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.