Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great salad! Try adding some cooked, crumbled bacon to the mix-- it adds to the already wonderful flavors.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, rinsed, dried and torn
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin orange segments, drained
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Cover and shake well.
- Refrigerate until use.
- In a medium saucepan over medium low heat, cook and stir the almonds and sugar until the sugar is melted and the almonds are coated.
- Remove from heat, cool, and break apart.
- Store at room temperature until ready to serve salad.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, celery, oranges, almonds and dressing until evenly coated.
Oh how GREAT! Thanks for posting Juenessa! We are in the process of moving a lot of things to our house in Texas, so I have a lot of my cookbooks packed. I'm having friends for dinner Saturday and my husband requested a salad similar to this one. It comes from an old cookbook from Iowa called Pig Out. I love that cookbook, so of course it is one I'm taking to Texas and I couldn't really remember all of the ingredients. This is almost it exactly with a few changes. The other one toasts the almonds instead of sugaring them. It also has 1/2 tsp. or 1 tsp. of almond extract - can't remember. I have literally seen someone pick up the plate to finish off the dressing when he thought no one was looking. Mine also adds 1/3 or 1/2 cup of diced crisp bacon and if I have any, I always throw in some sunflower seeds and toasted sesame seeds. Make sure the lettuce and the dressing are nice and cold. I always put my plates in the frig for a few hours for this dressing and I always use crisp romaine. I think that makes all the difference. Enjoy!
I made this recipe couple months ago but forgot to review it. Didn't change a thing. It was delicious, fresh, tasty! Will do again.