Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Canned mandarin oranges give a delightful citrus flavor to these delicious spiced muffins which are topped with cinnamon sugar. They are perfect for a quick breakfast or snack. Source: About.com
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges (a 15-oz can works as well)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place muffin papers in muffin tins or spray tins with vegetable oil.
- Drain oranges and pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, allspice, and sugar. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk together egg and milk. Pour into flour mixture and stir with a fork just until combined. Do not overmix. Batter will be thick. (If your batter is crumbly, you may add a SMALL splash of milk). Carefully fold in mandarin oranges.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until center tests done and muffins are lightly golden.
- While muffins are baking, place melted butter in a small bowl. In another small bowl, whisk together sugar and cinnamon.
- When muffins are done, dip each hot muffin first into the butter and then into the cinnamon sugar. Let cool.
Excellent muffins! I love the spice/mandarin orange combo. I had a big jar of mandarins and had no idea how much 11 ounces amounted to, so I used a cup and it worked great. I might chop up the mandarins next time so they spread out more. I subbed butter for the shortening but otherwise followed to a "t." Loved the topping! There isn't much sugar in the recipe so the topping rounds it out nicely. I didn't use the full 1/3 cup of butter, so next time I may try 2-3 tbs. Thanks for the great recipe Munchkin Mama!
I used 1/2 cup milk, instead of 1/3. Next time I would substitue some of the milk with mandarin orange juice. I also used butter instead of the shortening. The cupcakes were to hot to hold, so I used a pastry brush to brush the butter on the cupcakes & I sprinkeled the cinnamon & sugar on the cupcakes