Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tony Danza Show
Make and share this Mama Bellas Tomato Gravy and Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 slices white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated locatelli cheese or 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped fine
- 3 (35 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (I use Tuttaruso in the blue can)
- 1 (35 ounce) can tomato puree (I use Tuttaruso in the blue can)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- MEATBALL DIRECTIONS.
- In food processor chop onions, garlic, parsley. Soak bread in milk, then put in food processor with eggs and cheese. Add this mixture to ground beef with salt and pepper. Add bread crumbs to make soft firm ball. Roll meatballs, place on baking sheet and bake in 350 degree oven 30-40 minutes. Put in gravy and simmer for 1-2 hours.
- TOMATO GRAVY DIRECTIONS:.
- Sautee' onions and garlic until soft. Add remaining ingredients, stir and simmer 1 hour. Add meatballs and simmer another hour.
Thank you!!! I have a crusty old copy of this from the Tony Danza show way back when - and now I don't have to scramble to find it! We have it as "Maria Bello's Tomato Gravy & Meatballs. Everybody loves it! The meatballs are the best! Didn't have enough crushed tomatoes so I took some stewed and whole tomatoes and ran them threw the blender. Also would adjust the sugar down a big (1/2 c works good). thanks!
This is a very good recipe. It is almost identical to mine. I made this tonight and I couldn't tell much of a difference from my regular sauce. Very good!! The only thing I did different was to not add so much sugar and add mushrooms. Great and easy recipe . . . I made Italian Peasant Bread (#405554) to go with it and it all turned out great!!
Wow and I do mean WOW! What a delicious recipe. I used the grated parmesean instead of the locatelli cheese and also served this recipe over a bed of spinach linguine. it was fantastic. I am definitely going to make this recipe again...very SOON! Thanks frozen!