Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful recipe I found in a Betty Crocker magazine. It is a great comfort food with the added make ahead benefit. It is great with any roast or poultry dish.
- 1360.77 g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 9 medium)
- 6 clove garlic, peeled
- 177.44 ml milk
- 118.29 ml whipping cream
- 118.29 ml butter
- 0.25 ml salt & pepper
- Place potatoes and garlic in medium saucepan with enough (salted if desired) water to cover.
- Cover and heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Drain and shake potatoes to dry over low heat.
- Mash potatoes and garlic in pan until lump free (my personal preference is to use a potato ricer).
- Heat rest of ingredients stirring over low heat until butter melts.
- Reserve 1/4 C of mixture.
- Add rest of milk mix in small amounts stirring after each addition until light and fluffy (amount needed depends on type of potato used).
- Grease a 2 quart casserole and spoon in potatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Pour reserved milk mixture over potatoes and bake uncovered 40-45 minutes or until hot.
- Stir before serving.
Everyone enjoyed these potatoes - I cut back on the milk & cream - they just didn't need quite that much. Pouring the last bit over top for the final baking is wonderful it forms - not a crust but gives a nice finish to the potatoes.I love doing them in the morning and then just pop them in before dinner This dish was served with steamed smoked Black Alaska Cod, Savory Brussels Sprouts & Ginger Glazed carrots The dinner was demolished Thanks Kate in Ontario 15 April 08 Made & enjoyed again added a photo this time
I love the ease of make ahead dishes - it makes those special occasion like Easter more enjoyable for the chef! I was so happy to find this recipe as I'm totally bored with the same old, same old cream cheese & sour cream combo that I've been using for eons! The potatoes were creamy, the flavour of the garlic was very subtle, the final "finish" added to the visual appearance. Thanx Kate for a recipe that I'll use many times in the future!
Very good recipe although I would suggest to others not to skimp on the liquid at all when mashing the potatoes because the oven dries them out a bit so next time I will put the full amount (more than usual) because when you take them out they should be perfect! Thanks!