Applebee's Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Copycat)
Applebee's has THE best mashed potatoes. I found this knock-off recipe on e-cookbooks.net. We had it last year for Christmas and it was just heavenly.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup garlic (whole cloves)
- Place a single layer of garlic cloves on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and wrap tightly.
- Roast in 400F degree preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes or until soft.
- Unwrap and let cool until touchable.
- Peel cloves and mash with potatoes when they are ready.
- Wash and rinse potatoes under cold water.
- It is not necessary to peel potatoes, unless you desire.
- In large sauce pan (or pot), bring red potatoes to a slow boil for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain in colander.
- In pan or bowl, combine potatoes, peeled and roasted garlic cloves, and all other ingredients and mash with a potato masher.
- Keep warm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The best way to roast the garlic is to take an entire head, slice off the top and drizzle a tbsp. of olive oil over it. Wrap it in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350 until soft. Let it cool to where it can be handled and squeeze each clove directly into the potatoes as you mash them. You CANNOT replace the roasted garlic with garlic powder or garlic salt or any kind of fresh garlic without totally changing the flavor profile of the dish. Roasted garlic does not taste like fresh garlic, it has a much richer and fuller flavor with none of the after taste or garlic breath. It is also fantastic if you mix it with a bit of softened butter to spread on a nice fresh baguette. :)6Reply
see 14 more