This is a wonderful recipe I found in a Betty Crocker magazine. It is a great comfort food with the added make ahead benefit. It is great with any roast or poultry dish.
- Place potatoes and garlic in medium saucepan with enough (salted if desired) water to cover.
- Cover and heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Drain and shake potatoes to dry over low heat.
- Mash potatoes and garlic in pan until lump free (my personal preference is to use a potato ricer).
- Heat rest of ingredients stirring over low heat until butter melts.
- Reserve 1/4 C of mixture.
- Add rest of milk mix in small amounts stirring after each addition until light and fluffy (amount needed depends on type of potato used).
- Grease a 2 quart casserole and spoon in potatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Pour reserved milk mixture over potatoes and bake uncovered 40-45 minutes or until hot.
- Stir before serving.