Recipe by Cookworm
I made up this soup with 'what do I have on hand?' ingredients and boy did it deliver. I heard some mmm's over dinner, and thought I'd post it up here so I don't lose it.
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained
- 6 slices bacon, cooked
- 8 ounces pepperoni slices, chopped
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 orange sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1 celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (8 ounce) package shell pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend plum tomatoes in blender for a rough puree.
- Cook bacon, remove from pan.
- Sautee pepperoni in bacon grease, remove from pan. When cooled, crumble.
- Sautee onions and garlic in bacon grease.
- Put everything but the pasta in a big soup pot and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer for one hour.
- Add in pasta shells for 20 minutes. Check liquid levels, if they get too low add in water as needed.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese.