Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From New York's legendary Magnolia Bakery. Yields 24 cupcakes or 1 cake (see note below for triple layer cake) Nota Bene: - always allow baked goods to cool sufficiently before icing. - Use and store at room temperature because icing will set if chilled. - Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla.
- On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency.
- Note: You may not need to add all of the sugar.