Recipe by Kitch'n Witch
I found this recipe in Organic Style Magazine (which is now defunct, sadly) Nov/Dec 2001. I make them every year for the holidays. My family and coworkers adore them!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 10 ounces dried shredded coconut (Gurley's Natural Raw Chip Coconut is perfect)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put egg whites, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a metal mixing bowl set over a bowl of hot water (or float the bowl in a hot water filled sink). Stir until sugar dissolves. Mixture is ready when you do not feel any grittiness when you rub the mixture between two fingers.
- Remove from heat, and stir in flour. Then add coconut and mix well.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet (or use a Silpat liner). Using 2 teaspoons, scoop a dollop of cookie dough, about the size of a Ping-Pong ball, with one of the spoons, then with the other teaspoon, transfer the dough onto the baking sheet (or use a 1-1/4" inside diameter cookie dough scoop and press the dough in firmly before turning out onto the sheet), arranging the dollops about 1 inch apart. (You can fit two dozen macaroons on a sheet since they don't expand, especially nice if you double or triple the recipe).
- Bake until macaroons begin to turn a light toasty brown, 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet before transferring to a rack to finish cooling. Store in a tightly covered tin (or plastic container).