Recipe by Mirj
I got this recipe from Self magazine, it's a great way to get in your daily veggies and fiber!
Top Review by Babs in Toyland
I made this last night and my husband (the vegetable hater) loved it. I used brown rice instead of barley just because that is what I had on hand and sprinkled a little grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top. It was very delicious - so glad you posted it Mirjam.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30 ounces broth
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄4 lb green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 8 cups spinach leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, over medium heat, cook the garlic, onion, celery and thyme in the olive oil, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the broth, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, water and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add barley.
- Reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in white beans and spinach, cook 5 more minutes.