Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This chocolate cake might be the easiest cake in the world to make and is the most versatile as well. No eggs or dairy make it cholesterol- and cruelty-free.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
Creamy Smooth Chocolate Frosting
- 2 -3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -4 tablespoons water or 2 -4 tablespoons non-dairy milk substitute
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl until mixed thoroughly.
- Make a well in the center and add wet ingredients, with exeption of the vinegar.
- Stir until well mixed; then stir in vinegar until well blended.
- Pour into a 9x9 inch baking dish (or cupcake or bundt pan), and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes Tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean when done.
- For the frosting: Cream the butter in a small bowl.
- Add sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and enough water or non-dairy milk to make a thick, but spreadable frosting.
- Cool completely, then spread on the frosting.