Recipe by Patti-atti
This is a delicious twist on Mac n' Cheese that has a full flavour - it's a crowd pleaser, to say the least! This recipe gets gobbled up so fast - you may not even have leftovers - which is too bad, because it's even better the next day!
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
I made this recipe on 4/4/09 for the "This Little Piggy Went To Market "Event in the Cooking Photos Forum, and for mine and SO's dinner.For the sausage I used Recipe#178446. One change had to be made to the recipe, provolone was used instead parmesan. ( That is what I had on hand )I didn't have any fresh parsley, so I just sprinkled in a good amount of dry.After combining all the ingredients, I did a taste test and found that it needed to be " perked up " some.So, I added a bit of crushed red pepper flakes.Instead of putting this in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish, (which would have been way too small to hold it all )I placed some in the 1 1/2 quart dish, and the rest of it went into a freezer safe dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes to give it a golden color. This was very good,and will be making again. Thanks for posting and, "Keep Smiling :)"
- 3⁄4 lb Italian sausage
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons parsley, minced (optional)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove sausage from casing.
- Cook in Skillet over medium heat until sausage loses it's red colour.
- Stir often.
- When cooked, pour off grease.
- Set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In saucepan, melt butter.
- Saute onion in butter until softened.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook for one minute.
- Add salt, pepper, milk, broth; stirring until blended.
- Cook / stir for 1 minute until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Add parsley and cheeses.
- Combine cooked macaroni, sausage and cheese sauce.
- Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2 quart oblong baking dish.
- Bake 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with additional cheese after 15 minutes if desired.
- Note - Substitute dry white wine for chicken broth, if desired.