Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from one of the first cookbooks given to me as a young child (back in the 70's). I have come across many recipes but keep coming back to his classic.
- 6 ounces elbow macaroni (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups American cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- For cheese sauce, in a saucepan melt butter. Cook onion in butter till tender but not brown.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add milk all at once; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add cubed cheese; stir till melted.
- Stir macaroni into cheese cause. Turn into a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Arrange tomato slices atop macaroni; sprinkle with a little salt. Bake in a 350°F oven 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
I have used this recipe for many years. It has become a staple for my family. When the grandchildren come to visit, this is one of the first things they ask for.
This was a good mac n cheese. However for the sake of my daughter I didn't add the onion or tomato. Made for My 3 Chefs 09 Event