Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
Ree Drummond Author of The Pioneer Woman Cooks Ladies' Home Journal Oct 2010
- 1 lb macaroni noodles
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 4 3⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Heat oven to 350 and grease a large 2 to 3 quart baking dish.
- In a large pot of salted water cook macaroni until still firm, about 4 minutes and drain.
- Beat the egg in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium-low heat and whisk in flour, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and mustard until smooth.
- Cook until very thick, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Slowly pour 1/4 cup of the sauce into the beaten egg, whisking constantly, to temper the egg.
- Pour egg mixture back into the sauce.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cheddar and stir in the rest into the sauce until melted. Add the pepper and salts.
- Stir in the macaroni and pour into the baking dish and top with the reserved cheese.
- Bake until bubbly or golden, 20 to 25 minutes.