Recipe by keen5
This is a good side dish or vegetarian main dish. Prep time approximate. Cook time allows for cooking macaroni and broccoli.
Top Review by mk_newman
Its turned out pretty good, hubby said it was the best mac n cheese hes ever had. I tweaked it a bit though: boiled the broccoli with the noodles, added garlic salt instead of salt (half the amount), more pepper, parsley, cayanne, paprika, chopped onions, sriracha. I used cream and milk, 1 1/2 cup. Feta, parm and swiss, 1/2 cup. Mixed everything togeather, poured into baking pan and topped with herbs, onion and panko. It was great.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2 cups chopped cooked broccoli (fresh or frozen)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter; stir in flour salt and pepper.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook until thickened, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese and mayonnaise.
- Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water according to package directions.
- Cook just until tender; do not overcook.
- Drain, rinse, and drain again.
- Place a layer of macaroni, then a layer of chopped cooked broccoli in greased 1-1/2 quart casserole.
- Pour some of the sauce over broccoli.
- Repeat layers, ending with sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.