photo by Anonymous
- Ready In:
- Cook macaroni.
- Drain salmon; break it into bite-size pieces.
- Make Sauce: Melt butter. Saute onion until transparent. Blend in flour, stirring constantly. Slowly stir milk into saucepan mixture. Cook until smooth and thick, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice and parsley. Mix well.
- Spoon pasta into sprayed casserole dish. Put salmon on top. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Pour sauce over it, and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 25 min or until hot and lightly browned.
- NOTE: This doesn't make for a lot of sauce. To keep original proportions, double the butter, onion, flour, milk, lemon juice and parsley.
Great casserole, easy to make with basic pantry ingredients. I did use a little less pasta as I was using up an open box, used a can of Red Salmon and added cracked black pepper to sauce. I am always looking for casseroles that do not use canned soup as I prefer to make homemade sauce. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
I made this recipe with the exact measurements given - I did not double the sauce - and it is very good that way. I enjoy a very zesty meal, so, next time (and there absolutely WILL be many next times with this recipe), I'll add a tsp salt, a dash of cayenne pepper, and a dash of turmeric. Thank you so much for posting.
This was delicious. I doubled the sauce and added approx 3/4 tsp salt but it needed a bit more. I’ll also add some pepper next time. I replaced the fresh parsley with dried, I looked it up and the recommendation is 1 Tbsp fresh = 1 tsp dried. I used Mozzerella cheese as that’s what I had in the fridge. I also added a layer each of 1 can mushrooms and 1-1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed and drained. I used a 9x13 pan. My family loved it and decided this was definitely a repeat recipe.
Normally I don' t write reviews unless I've followed the recipe almost exactly but I have to make an exception since I had to work with what was available. This is a great recipe in and of itself and it also lends to great variations. I only had lasagne available so that's what I made by layering everything. I used half Parmesan and half Gruyere cheese. I did double the sauce as suggested by others and used dill instead of parsley. This is awesome and I would make it again. I would add some mushrooms next time.