Recipe by FCR Gal
Another great holiday tradition from my MIL, Linda. We always have this on Christmas morning since it can be made ahead and just popped in the oven while you are opening presents. I think it's yummy!
Top Review by nancy.zoll
Best ever French toast recipe and "oh so easy!" I personally love the macadamia nuts with coconut syrup, like in Hawaii, but any nut would be delish as well. A nice fruit on the side with or without meat would impress family or friends. Will be making this soon, wonderfully easy, but impressive breakfast!��
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- powdered sugar
- ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first six ingredients, stirring well.
- Fit bread slices in a single layer into a lightly greased 13x9x2 baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over bread slices.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, turning bread once.
- The next morning, pour butter into a 15x10x1 jellyroll pan.
- Place bread slices in a single layer in pan.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with nuts and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish with powdered sugar and/or nutmeg.
- Serve with maple syrup if desired.