1/1 Photo of Lyonnaise Salad
This is a typical Lyonnais starter, served in most restaurants in Lyons. Much easier to make than it looks when you see it in the restaurant, and truly exquisite!! The quantities for the vinaigrette are only for orientation, just stick to the right proportions and make as much as you really need. (I like my salad to be quite drenched in the vinaigrette, for instance, so I always make a little bit more of it to be sure).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 200 g pancetta (or a few slices of bacon, diced)
- 1 egg, per person
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white vinegar (or less, according to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or according to taste)
- bread croutons or toast, to serve
- 1Wash and drain the lettuce and chop the leaves that are quite big, leave the rest as they are (you don't want them to get too small).
- 2Fry the pancetta or bacon and dry on kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
- 3To make the vinaigrette (best make this before frying the pancetta): slowly pour olive oil over the mustard, stirring thoroughly, so that you obtain a creamy, mayo-like consistence.
- 4Add vinegar, again, pouring slowly and mixing (you can taste the mixture at this point, to make sure it is not too vinegary for you).
- 5Add sugar and salt, mix thoroughly, and voila!
- 6To serve, put the lettuce leaves on a big plate and pour some vinaigrette over them.
- 7Put some fried pancetta on top, as well as one poached egg per person (if you prefer, you can fry the eggs sunny side up).
- 8Pour a little more vinaigrette, garnish with bread croutons, or serve with toast on the side.
- 9Make sure you have enough vinaigrette to leave on the table, so that people can have some more if they like.
- 10Variation: you can substitute some (or all) of the iceberg lettuce leaves with other types of lettuce or with spinach leaves. Allow enough per person to fill a big plate with a little mound, but make sure you don't go overboard either.
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lyonnaise Salad
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 729.4
- Calories from Fat 674
- Total Fat 74.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 674.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: