Recipe by Recipe Baroness
Got this recipe from an English friend of mine. This lemon spread is wonderful on scone or toast, and muffins. I have made it for several years as some of my Christmas gifts. I have never deviated from this recipe, and it's so good and rich!
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 egg yolks, slightly beaten and strained
- 1 cup lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar and egg yolks in a medium sized pan.
- Stir in the lemon juice gradually and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of your spoon and registers 168 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Do not let this mixture boil.
- Remove mixture from the heat, and wisk until it is slightly cooled.
- Stir in the butter and grated lemon zest.
- Cool completely and place in jars for yourself and gift giving.