Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you love lemon, then you will love this!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup self-raising flour
- 2 lemons
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (for later)
- Preheat oven, lightly grease and line the base of an 18cm/7 inch square cake pan with baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy.
- Beat eggs then gradually add a little of this egg mixture to the butter mixture, add 1 tablespoon of flour after each addition of the egg mixture.
- Add in the zest/grind from 1 lemon to the butter mixture.
- Beat until smooth.
- Squeeze the juice from the same lemon into the mixture (make sure the seeds did not get in!) and blend well with the rest of the batter before pouring it into the pan and smoothing the surface of the batter.
- Grate the remaining lemon and mix the zest with 2 tablespoons of sugar and set aside.
- Squeeze the juice from the second lemon into a small saucepan and add in the rest of the sugar (2 tablespoons) and heat gently while stirring.
- When the sugar has melted, simmer the liquid gently for a further 3 minutes until it becomes thick like a syrup.
- When the cake is done, remove from oven and using a toothpick (for smaller holes, you can use a fork if you like), poke the cake all over so that it is covered with tiny holes.
- Sprinkle the lemon zest+sugar mixture evenly over the surface of the cake and drizzle the lemon syrup onto the cake.
- Let the cake cool in the pan then cut into squares.
- And lastly ENJOY.
definitely worth another bake, me thinks!!!
I used this recipe as 1 layer of my daughter's wedding cake. It was delicious! I wondered how it would work being marzipaned and white iced but there were no problems. Rave reviews all around!
Loved it ! Sadly the photo doesn't do this justice. I wanted to make an effort to make a Birthday cake for a friend but I am probably the worst cake baker on the planet and this one turned out ok, a little flat, but I assure you that's standard for me and NOTHING to do with the recipe. We loved the lemon flavour and wow it was lemon-y. Excellent ! I iced it with lemon icing and it was very well received. Please see my rating system: a lovely 4 stars for a lemon cake that make my frinds evening. Thanks !