Luscious Lemon Pound Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 cup butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon soft butter, for greasing pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with butter.
- Dust pan with cake flour.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Melt butter, whisk thoroughly to reincorporate any separated milk solids.
- In food processor or blender, process sugar and lemon zest until combined.
- Add lemon juice, eggs and vanilla, process until combined (about 5 seconds).
- With machine running, add melted butter through the feed tube in steady stream (about 20 seconds).
- Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Sift flour mixture over eggs in three steps, whisking gently after each addition until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 350°F.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and continue to bake until deep golden brown and skewer in center comes out clean (about 35 minutes).
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Turn onto wire rack.
- While cake cooling bring sugar, lemon juice and zest to boil in small saucepan.
- Stir occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened slightly, about 2 minutes.
- With toothpick poke holes on all sides of cake.
- Brush on Lemon Glaze.
- Allow to cool at room temperature at least one hour before serving.
Join The Conversation
This cake has such bright and tangy lemon flavour. I made it for Easter and it was a hit. I made a few changes....I used all purpose flour because that's what was on hand. I also used the creaming method and used icing sugar for the glaze. It was probably a bit denser than it should have been but it was just lovely. I will definitely be making this again.
This is a great pound cake and the lemon glaze, so good! I didnt have cake flour so I used all purpose and I think my pound cake was a bit heavier than described by other reviewers but still very good. A bit of lemon curd would also be tasty along side! Thank you Galley Wench for posting this recipe, a new favorite for us!