Recipe by Vino Girl
Adapted from Cooking Light (April 2002).
Top Review by jezebel_lilly
i have been making this dish for almost 20 years.my dad and his brothers are loggers, and they prepare this often because it's so easy to cook over an open flame and it's an entire meal in one skillet.I don't add much salt,but I do prefer more cheese. Not exactly low fat,but definatly yummy comfort food.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed (about 1 pound, you can also use an equivalent amount of fresh grated potatoes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces ham, diced
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, and ham; cook 16 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Top with cheese; cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts.