Recipe by chiclet
You will be eating this tasty bowl of Tex-Mex deliciousness before you even realize you've begun cooking it! OK, maybe it's not THAT fast, but it's pretty fast. And more importantly, it's yummy (and vegan). I usually add a squirt of lime juice at the end to make it extra nice.
Top Review by angelreed
This is the best Beans and Rice! I have been making this every week since I found this recipe. It is very fast and easy, and delicious, too! Instead of chilis, I put in 1/2 tsp or so of Sriracha hot sauce for some more kick. When I have an extra five minutes, I'll start with cooking a very ripe plantain, and when it's browned I'll go on with the rest of the recipe. Also, for more fresh veg, you can use fresh tomatoes as a topping and omit the salsa. Thank you for posting!
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 small chile, minced (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup black beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheese (to garnish) (optional) or sour cream (to garnish) (optional) or cilantro (to garnish, optional) (optional) or scallion (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and sautee until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, corn, chile, cumin and coriander and cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring to keep from sticking (you can add a little water if you need to).
- Stir in rice, beans, salsa, and salt and pepper to taste; cook till heated through.
- Put it in a bowl, top it with your preferred garnishes, and dig in!
- For Vegan omit the Cheese and the Sour Cream.