Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe from the Lucky 32 restaurant chain in North Carolina and is one of their most requested recipes. Though Lucky 32 makes these cakes with Tabasco brand hot-pepper sauces, other brands of hot sauce may be substituted, and just one type of hot sauce may be used instead of two with similar results.
- 1537.83 ml cooked black beans
- 118.29 ml salsa
- 118.29 ml red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell peppers, finely diced
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 473.18 ml breadcrumbs
- 14.79 ml fresh jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2.46 ml Tabasco sauce
- 4.92 ml Tabasco jalapeno sauce
Tortilla Chip Breading
- 473.18 ml crushed tortilla chips
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- Rinse black beans in cold water.
- Drain well in a colander for at least 10 minutes.
- Place beans and all other ingredients except Tortilla Chip Breading in a mixing bowl.
- Blend well with hands, mashing some of the beans to form a thick mixture.
- Form mixture into 3-ounce patties.
- Dredge each patty in Tortilla Chip Breading and set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray or add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Saute bean cakes in hot skillet, turning once when bottom are golden brown.
- Serve with condiments of choice, such as salsa and sour cream.
- For Tortilla Chip Breading, place all ingredients in a food processor and process to a crumb consistency.
Delicious, easy to make, and healthy! I served these over rice with salsa and guacamole and my husband and I loved them. I will make this one again and again! Thanks!!