Spicy Black Bean Cakes
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 -2 jalapeno, finely chopped, ribs and seeds removed if desired
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- coarse salt
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated to equal 2 cups
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Heat broiler. In small skillet over med heat, warm 1 T oil. Cook scallions til soft, 1 minute Add garlic, jalapeno and cumin. Cook til fragrant, 30 seconds. Transfer to large bowl.
- Add beans to bowl; mash with fork or potato masher, leaving about 1/4 of the beans whole. Season generously with salt and pepper. Fold in sweet potato, egg and breadcrumbs. Divide into 8 balls of equal size; flatten into patties.
- Brush a baking sheet with remaining T oil; place patties on sheet, 1/2 inch apart. Broil 4 inches from heat til golden brown, 8-10 minute With thin metal spatula, carefully turn cakes. Broil til crisp, 2-3 min more.
- If desired serve with Lime Sour Cream.
- Lime Sour Cream: In small bowl, combine 1/2 c sour cream with 2 t fresh lime juice and 1 small minced jalapeno; season with coarse salt.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a former retail management slave who is now a stay at home mom who absolutely loves her job. I have an eight year old, a two year old and a nine month old who all bring their own kind of joy to my life. My favorite thing in the world is to cook. We have a real, from scratch family dinner almost every night. Please don't be offended if I somewhat change a recipe in my review. I look at recipes sort of as guidelines, and alter them according to inspiration. I've received alot of helpful advice from reviews, that's why I share what I've done differently. With my little ones I'm pretty busy, but I LOVE this site and plan on being even more active as they get older.