Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 min
I love this recipe! It looks so pretty and tastes so good, this is one of my comfort foods! I don't need an Emeril recipe to prepare lox and cream cheese but it just that it hits the right spot with the right amount of ingredients! Make the Dilled Cucumbers first because they need to be put in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2002. Televion Food Network, 2003.
- 1 cucumber, peeled, split lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Mixture with Lox
- 3⁄4 cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, no substitutes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 slices smoked salmon
- 4 bagels, halved
- butter or margarine, softened
- dilled cucumber
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Make Dilled Cucumbers:.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Prepare Lox and a Schmear:.
- Place cream cheese, capers, parsley, lemon juice, salt(if using), and pepper in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Place 2 slices of the salmon in a cross pattern on a flat surface.
- Place 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture in the center of the cross.
- Fold the flaps over to form a package approximately 2x2" wide.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Spread each bagel half with softened butter or margarine.
- Place the package on a bagel half and top with 2 Tablespoons of filled cucumbers and red onion.
- Top with the other half of the bagel and make a sandwich.
I loved the dilled cucumber, but thought the schmear was missing something (I am not sure what), my husband suggested it was missing green onions, but I reminded him there were red onions separately. Another issue is that an approximately 2"x2" disk is way too small for an average bagel, and this made for a rather large amount of cream cheese in the middle of the bagel (where there is no bagel--the hole!). I also thought the butter overkill and toasted my bagels.
Same as SAMS, I am rating the shmear served with lox, bagels, and red onions. Really delicious and easier than trying to serve capers as a separate condiment. :)
I'm only rating the schmear, I set it up next to a plate of bagels and lox and let my guests put them together. It got rave reviews and everyone asked about it! Super easy, too! Loved it. Thanks.