Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a lower sugar version than others that I have come across. I think it tastes just as good as the full sugar version.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine flour, spices, and leveling ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup butter and sugar in another bowl. Beat until combined. Add eggs 1 at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add in the applesauce,milk, and vinegar to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry incorporating well.
- Spread out into a greased 13x9 cake pan and bake for 35 minutes at 350°F
- When cake is cool make the frosting. In a saucepan melt the 1/3 cup of butter. Watch until it begins to brown, once a nutty color remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
- Add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Spread on top of cake and serve.