A tasty baked soup that is so satisfying and rich, it eats like a meal.It is different than others in that I use a mixture of both beef and chicken broths and mix grated parmesan or romano right into the broth itself, and top it off with provolone and swiss. You can certainly make it more traditional by adding a thick sliced round of toast before you add the cheeses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 large sweet onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated/shredded parmesan cheese or 4 tablespoons romano cheese or 4 tablespoons asiago cheese, divided
- 8 slices thin provolone cheese (round works best)
- 8 slices thin swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 dash dry sherry
- 1Cut onions in half, then thinly slice.
- 2In a large sauce pot, heat oil and add onions, medium high heat.
- 3Saute onions for about 20 minutes, until limp and golden brown in color.
- 4Add all four cans of broth and heat to boiling, about 5-8 minutes.
- 5Add a splash of sherry if desired, turn off heat.
- 6Put oven on broil cycle.
- 7Place 4 soup crocks in a baking pan and ladle onion sherry broth mixture evenly among 4 crocks; the pan will prevent spillover in your oven and make it easier to transport the hot crocks.
- 8You will want this almost to the top of the crock.
- 9Add one TBS of grated cheese to broth mixture in each crock and stir gently.
- 10Place two slices of provolone and two slices swiss atop each crock.
- 11Carefully use baking pan to transport the crocks to your broiler unit, closest to the heat unit.
- 12Broil the crocks in the pan until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly, anywhere from 5-10 minutes.
- 13Serve crocks on separate plates.
- 14For carbers, you can add a thick slice of toasted bread to the soup, before the sliced cheeses go on, just adjust the amount of broth mixture to each crock.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lower Carb French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.4
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.4 g
- Saturated Fat 21.9 g
- Cholesterol 94.5 mg
- Sodium 2118.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 38.9 g