Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 3 Spanish onions, cut in 1/2 lengthwise then thinly sliced
- 3 large shallots, cut in half
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, peeled and cut in half (large)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped, or 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Set oven rack at lowest level, preheat to 450 degrees.
- Combine onions, shallots, garlic and oil in large shallow roasting pan. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until onions are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and pour in 1 cup of chicken broth. Stir liquid in pan, scraping the bottom to loosen and dissolve caramelized bits.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a soup pot and add brandy, thyme and remaining broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with Parmesan and perhaps some toasted French bread
I have mixed feelings about this recipe.. This recipe gives subtle but distinct flavours and it tastes really good. I didn't use any Thyme, and while I had the parmesan to hand I just didn't fancy adding it today, but I will next time. I liked it... very much, but I'm also hankering after a recipe I had years ago that sets the standard for onion/garlic soups. This one isn't it, and since it's low fat it's probably totally unfair of me to excpect that it ever would be. Please see my rating system: a wonderful recipe that will do very nicely as I try and eat healthier. Thanks!!!
Though a bit time-consuming, this recipe was really easy and completely delicious. The parmesan didn't seem to add anything, and we discovered it was best eaten with french bread and gorgonzola on the side. I did end up adding an extra cup of chicken broth, because towards the end of simmering it was closer to stew than soup.
You will be surprised on the out come! Just the aroma of the onions baking is soo good. This soup needs no sugar because it creats its own when onions baking. The next time I personaly would double the liquids other than that this was excellant!