1/1 Photo of Low Fat Lower Carb Turkey Lasagna ( Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles)
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I love my mother-in-law's lasagna, but after looking at the rcipe, it was just too high in fat and calories for us. The noodle-less lasagna recipes just didn't do it for me. After alot of experimenting, I'm finally happy with it. It's probably not suitable for Atkins because of the noodles, but for anyone on South Beach or Zone or Body for Life, this is great. Generally, I hate the texture of whole wheat pasta, but because it gets cooked twice, it's fine. I served it to people who aren't low carbing, and they loved it! Obviously, you can substitute ground beef for the turkey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 44 ounces Hunts tomato sauce (1 large 29oz. can, 1 medium 15 oz. can)
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar (used to remove acid from tomato sauce, Splenda won't work)
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 (8 ounce) box hodgson mill whole wheat lasagna noodles (or other brand)
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- 30 ounces about 4 cups polly-o fat-free ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces sargento shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated locatelli romano cheese
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1Brown meat in large (>3qt) saucepan, drain.
- 2Add pepper and onions, tomato sauce, oregano, parsley, nutmeg, garlic powder, sugar, and Splenda. Simmer for 1 hour. Meanwhile, continue with next 3 steps.
- 3Cook spinach according to directions, drain well and let cool a little.
- 4Cook lasagna according to package directions, drain. (Separate noodles and lay out flat on wax paper or aluminum foil to keep pieces from sticking together as they cool.).
- 5Combine ricotta, romano, 1.5 cups of the mozzarella, egg substitute, spinach, salt and pepper for filling.
- 6In a 13"x9" baking pan, pour a thin layer of sauce to cover the bottom. Arrange 3-4 pieces (1/3 box) of lasagna lengthwise over sauce. Spread 1/3 cheese filling over noodles, then another layer of sauce. Repeat layers of lasagna, filling and meat sauce.
- 7Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- 8Remove aluminum foil, sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella. Bake uncovered about 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- 9Allow to stand for about 10 minutes before cutting for easier handling.
- 10Obviously, you can substitute whatever brands you can find, but using the brands listed above, each piece (1/12 recipe) has about 285 calories, 5g fat, 24g carbs, and 32g protein.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low Fat Lower Carb Turkey Lasagna ( Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles)
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.0
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 40.0 mg
- Sodium 958.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 19.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free ricotta cheese