Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
After finding the recipes for low fat brownies on the Zaar lacking, I decided to create my own recipe. Here is what I've come up with, much lower in fat and still delicious. I've put the molasses as optional, because I've made it with out, but I think it really enhances the flavor. You may stir in 1/2 cup chopped nuts after the last step, but that will add more fat to the recipe. And, you may use two squares unsweetened baking chocolate instead of the cocoa, oil, and extra tablespoon of applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly spray an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Beat applesauce, oil, molasses and cocoa OR melted unsweetened baking chocolate (if using baking chocolate, omit cocoa, oil, and extra tablespoon of applesauce) in a large bowl.
- Beat in sugar.
- Add egg whites and vanilla and stir until just combined.
- Stir in flour and nuts (optional). If the batter appears too runny, stir in an additional 1/4 cup flour.
- Spread batter in pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Coll and cut into bars.
These are so easy and yet taste great! I did add the molasses, was a little leary because just the smell of molasses makes makes me cringe. These make a great lunch box snack for the kids. I did a light dusting of powdered sugar on mine when they cooled. Great recipe, Thanks for sharing!
I wanted to love this recipe but unfortunately these brownies were kind of rubbery texture so no one was willing to take a 2nd bite, much less a 2nd brownie. I used Splenda Sugar Blend, maybe I should have used real sugar instead. I'm glad others have enjoyed the recipe and sorry they didn't work for us.