Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Low fat variation of a all time HIT. Still delicious but healthier.
- 6 slices day-old bread (better if low in fat)
- 1 tablespoon oil (can use butter or margarine)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar (or sweetner)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Break bread into small pieces into an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Drizzle melted oil over bread.
- If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine egg whites, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla Beat until slighty foamy.
- Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.
My husband and I both loved this recipe for Bread Pudding! I used dark brown sugar in place of white sugar and it was delicious served warm with Cool-whip Free...and only 3 points value for those on WW- (I cut it into 9 servings instead of 8, otherwise point value is 4). Thanks!
I had to force myself to rate this a 3 because of the low calories and good flavor BUT something is off in the measurements. There was too much egg white or not enough bread. The bread itself soaked up all the goodness and baked well. All of the liquid that didn't soak up was basically cooked egg white totally surrounding all the bread pieces. I dont want to eat egg when I am wanting bread pudding. For myself I will play around a bit and make it work (the recipe did hard part for me at least as a starting place). If you are not counting calories as I am then find a different recipe. If you are like me, I am going to use 2 less egg whites maybe 3 and more bread. How much will be decided when I make it when I can eyeball it. Good luck
So great! I didn't use the oil or the raisins and I used 2 whole eggs instead of the eggs whites, along with 1/2 cup Splenda to replace the sugar. It was delicious! And it was so easy to make, too! There's a lot of flavoring possibilities with this recipe.