Simply the Best Bread Pudding
photo by Jon A.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 lb loaf day-old challah, cubed (Jewish egg bread)
- 8 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups sugar (white, brown, or a combination)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg (preferably fresh ground)
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dried cherries
- Butter a 13 x 9 x 2 dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients except bread and raisins/cherries.
- Mix until eggs are well incorporated.
- Add bread cubes and raisins/cherries and mix until combined.
- Pour all into dish.
- Refrigerate a minimum of 2 hours, up to overnight (longer won't hurt).
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with sweetened real whipped cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WOW!!!! For those of you unsure if this is the recipe for you, put your mind to rest. This is an absolutely EXCELLENT recipe! The pudding turns out perfectly moist, a beautiful golden color and you wont believe how much it raises when you bake it! The only modifications I made to this recipe is that I used homemade brioche, which was perfect for this recipe, and I soaked my raisins in irish cream to plump. But I can tell you, after having tasted, this would have been fantastic without the added indulgence! My mom has got to be the most difficult woman to buy or cook for. For her birthday this year, I decided to make her a bread pudding, her favorite. She, my father, and the rest of the family couldn't stop raving about it. They have already put in a request for this for my Dad's birthday. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe!
I made this for Christmas and got rave reviews! I used Amish Cinnamon bread and left it out 2 days to get stale, then left the pudding in the fridge overnite to soak well. I didn't use raisins or cherries, but added cinnamon. I served it with rum sauce - boiled butter and sugar, tempered egg yolks, and rum extract. I will definitely make this again!!!
Well I have got to say that, on it's own, this wasn't one of my favorite bread pudding recipes. It was just very very bland and lacking. I would make it again and layer sliced bananas with the bread and top it with a homemade caramel sauce and whipped cream. But I think that I'm still searching for my best bread pudding recipe.
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
DangerBun is the "cooking" nickname given to me by my husband (who calls me Bunny). It's due to the numerous burns, cuts, and scalds I've "earned" in the kitchen. ;)