Recipe by MsSally
This is a easy low cal dinner. With a grilled cheese (light butter and light or fat-free cheese) and a salad round out the meal. Freezes excellently. Makes a big batch and can easily be doubled.
Top Review by cookiemaker
This is the best tomato soup I've ever had. I omitted the onion, but still made a roux with butter and flour. I used a 46 oz can of vegetable juice, and I didn't add the cream cheese. I tasted it before adding salt & pepper, and I thought it tasted good, but could use some spices. I added some garlic powder, onion powder, and basil. It was delicious! I plan on making this often. We had it with grilled cheese and it was a delicious, filling meal.
- 3 tablespoons light butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (42 ounce) jar V8 vegetable juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed milk)
- 1 (3 ounce) package fat free cream cheese (cubed and softened)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, saute onions in butter until translucent.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the flour so that no lumps remain, then slowly whisk in the tomato juice and evaporated milk.
- Return to the heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until just boiling add cream cheese and whisk until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- Or cool completely and freeze in rigid containers.
- To reheat: Thaw in fridge and warm in microwave or on stoptop.