Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
The "cream" comes from evaporated milk and blending the soup. Onion and garlic amounts can be varied to taste. Carrot may be added for colour. 1/4 cup of CheezWhiz or 2 oz grated tangy cheddar are also optional. Delicious, and so easy. Freezes well.
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cauliflower, trimmed and coasely chopped (about 1 large head)
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, fine ground
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add 1/2 cup of the stock.
- Add onions, garlic and nutmeg. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until tender but not browned, 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the stock and the cauliflower.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until cauliflower is tender.
- Puree until smooth and return to the pot.
- Add evaporated milk, pepper and optional cheese.
- Simmer briefly and ladle into warm bowls. Garnish with parsley or fresh dill or chives if preferred.
I roasted the cauliflower and garlic while my oven was on earlier and now that I'm tasting the soup, wow is this delicious!
This soup is terrific! I used 1 tablespoon of olive oil instead of the butter and it turned out just great. I made the rest as listed and made 8 servings. A sprinkling of old cheddar on top completed this soup. Made for Pick A Chef 2011 for my adopted chef Hedda Lettuce in Ontario! Thanks! :)
Creamy, silky smooth goodness! I made this just as written, and even used fat free evaporated milk. It was excellent. I garnished with dill and just a little shredded reduced fat cheese. Thanx for this outstanding lower fat cream soup!!!