Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
QUICK and easy as can be, Oh, did I mention tasty and healthy? When want something for easy dinner, Recommend this recipe! It's a winner!
- Heat 1 tbsp stock in large pot and saute finely diced red onion, finely sliced ham (I used deli leg off the bone) and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add rough cut carrots, butter beans (can use chickpeas), spring onions, 1 3/4 litres of vegetable (or chicken) stock and bring to a boil.
- NOTE: Adjust garlic to your taste.
- SIMMER uncovered for twenty minutes and let sit for 5 minutes.
- MASH; reheat if necessary and add chopped basil and lemon juice.
The overall taste of this soup was good and I enjoyed it. However, I felt that the texture of the butter beans was a bit too much for this soup. Smaller beans would work better, in my opinion.
Delicious soup and so easy to make. I used a tin each of butter beans (lima beans) and chick peas. Garlic wasn't included in the ingredient list but was in the instructions -- so I added two large, finely chopped cloves. Great idea to saute the veggies in the stock. Thanks, mickeydownunder, for a great way to use up some Christmas ham.
We love butter beans,this is a very tasty & easy recipe to make. I did cook a ham bone so that took a little longer to make the soup.I also used some chicken broth, a 1/2 teaspoon dried basil & no lemon juice. We enjoyed this with a green salad & corn bread muffins. Thank you for posting this easy recipe!