Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Taken from The Everyday Low-Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook
Make and share this Low Carb Mexican Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄3 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Add first eleven ingredients (tomato paste through bell peppers) to the slow cooker crock and mix well.
- Add chicken thighs and stir well to coat chicken with seasonings; then add black beans and chilies; do not stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Before serving, stir thoroughly. Serve with cheddar cheese and sour cream, if desired.
This was excellent - made this on top of the stove instead of in the crock pot (not a big fan of the crock pot since I'm gone more than 11 hours everyday - mine doesn't have a timer). Stir fried the chicken with the onions, peppers, and garlic and then added the remaining ingredients and simmered it for about 20-30 minutes. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting.
I loved this. Omited the green chiles, as I didn't have any on hand and added one chipotle and some of the adobo sauce it was in. Like the other commenter said, I wouldn't serve with without lots of cheese and sour cream. Even my two year old loved it.
I made this y'day and the only sub I made was using pink beans instead of black. I would definitely make the cheese & sour cream standard as the toppings and not optional but to each their own. I am just a big fan of cheese & sour cream;) Very easy and liked the combination of spices. Will make again. Served over rice seasoned with sazon. Thanks Tarbean! Recipe #1 for Pick A Chef.