Recipe by Chesska
Trying to eat healthier AND please your kids can be tricky! This yummy dish is low in calories and it's sure to please kids, too. :) Recipe from "Slim & Scrumptious" by Joy Bauer.
- 1 (10 ounce) package low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) box whole wheat macaroni
- 2 1⁄4 cups skim milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -5 drops hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Shred cheese and set aside allowing the cheese to come to room temperature, which will help it to melt better.
- Bring a large pot of unsalted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook according to the package directions for al dente pasta.
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups of milk with soy sauce, onion powder, dry mustard, paprika, bay leaf, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Place over medium heat and cook until the mixture comes to a gentle simmer.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the remaining 1/4 cup of milk. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and stir to combine. Return the sauce to a simmer and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove saucepan from heat, discard the bay leaf, and add the shredded cheese. Stir until the cheese is completely melted and no lumps remain.
- Add the butter to the cheese sauce and stir until completely melted inches.
- Drain the macaroni (but don't rinse), and return to pot.
- Pour cheese sauce over cooked macaroni and stir until everything is coated. Cover pot and allow it to sit for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.