Recipe by pixieglenn
I love granola and it's so good to snack on or eat for breakfast, but it's always so fattening and high calorie. So, I created my own recipe for yummy granola for dieting.
Top Review by wherzztoto
This is a great tasting recipe, however it is not a low calorie nor is it a non fattening "snack". (the calorie, carb and sugar breakdown boils down to per 1/2 cup serving - 442.3cal., 26.3carbs and 13.8g sugar. That is equal to 3.45 teaspoons of sugar per half cup.) I would just use real brown sugar and maybe less of it, because the Splenda has 20 calories per teaspoon and real brown sugar has 22. So why deal with the yeech taste of an artificial sweetner for a 2 calorie difference? Or you could leave out the Splenda (I did) and it tasted great) So, of course it is yummy, it's full of sugar and carbs. ;) *Source: USDA 1 c. oats (uncooked) is 607 calories x 4cups = 2,428 calories, 103.38 carbs 1 c. wheat germ is 414 calories x 4 cups = 1,656 calories, 59.57g carbs 1/2 c. Splenda BSugar Blnd = 480 calories, 96 carbs, 96g sugar 1/2 c. almonds = 266 calories, 9 carbs, 2.2g sugar 1/2 c. pecans= 376.5 calories, 7.5 carbs, 2.2g sugar 1/3 c. honey = 343.6 calories, 93.1 carbs, 92.8g sugar 1/3 c. veg. oil = 642.3 calories, 0 carbs, 0g sugar Makes 7 cups/14 servings (1/2 cup) Total calories = 6,192.4 / 442.3 calories per serving Total carbs = 368.4 / 26.3 carbs per serving Total sugar grams = 193.2 / 13.8g sugar per serving ( 4g sugar = 1 teaspoon of sugar. So this is 3.45 teaspoons of sugar per 1/2 cup serving)
- 946.36 ml rolled oats
- 236.59 ml wheat germ
- 118.29 ml Splenda brown sugar blend
- 118.29 ml sliced almonds
- 118.29 ml chopped pecans
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1.23 ml salt
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 78.07 ml honey
- 78.07 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add all the wet ingredients into the well.
- Toss it all like a big salad until it's well mixed, but not overly so.
- Spread evenly on 2 cookie sheets and place in a preheated 350°F oven.
- Most important step, make sure you stir or mix the granola every ten minutes so that you don't end up with any burned pieces. It's kind of a pain but you'll regret it if you don't!
- Bake for 40 minutes.