Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful gift for a bride to be, a friend under the weather, or just to say thanks! It tastes great too. Decorate the jar with a fabric lid and/or a bow tied around it. Be sure to attach the cooking instructions.
- 1⁄3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup split peas
- 1⁄2 cup abc pasta (any small pasta will work) or 1⁄2 cup small shell pasta (any small pasta will work) or 1⁄2 cup pasta, rings (any small pasta will work) or 1⁄2 cup macaroni (any small pasta will work)
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 1⁄3 cup non-instant white rice
- tri-color spiral pasta
- Be sure to use a wide-mouth 1qt. canning jars.
- Layer ingredients in the jar:.
- Bouillon, Onion Flakes, Split Peas, Small Shape Pasta, Barley, Lentils, Rice and enough tricolored spiral pasta to fill the jar.
- Attach a tag with cooking instructions: In a large kettle, brown 1 pound ground beef, or stew beef cut into bite-sized pieces, in a little olive oil.
- Remove tricolored pasta from top of jar and reserve.
- Add the rest of the jar contents to the kettle with 12 cups water.
- Let it come to a boil and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add tricolored pasta and simmer 15 minutes more.
- Serve with your favorite bread or rolls and a tossed salad.
This was a very tasty soup! We used brown rice instead of white and did not add the spiral pasta, we also added garlic and used chicken broth instead of beef (just personal preference). The only thing that I have to say I didn't like was that it came out very stew-like not as soupy as we like. I might use more water next time. It also made about 10 servings, a lot more than 4-6. Thanks for a great new recipe!
I haven't tasted this... yet. I made it as a gift for my son's teacher. They loved it! It looks great in the jar as well! The layers come out really nicely. I used elbows for the first pasta and they looked really neat.
I am taking a sanitation class for my job and the instructor made this soup and brought it in her crock pot to share with the class , she added the pasta at the class and I noticed the jar . WOW ! It was delicious !! I didn't get a chance to ask her for the recipe so , my first thought was to check out zaar , and here it was !!! Thank You for posting it here , it is a REALLY GOOD soup , and VERY pretty in the jar too !!!