Recipe by KimmieOH
A wonderful gift for a bride to be, a friend under the weather, or just to say thanks! It tastes great too. Decorate the jar with a fabric lid and/or a bow tied around it. Be sure to attach the cooking instructions.
Top Review by pixieglenn
This was a very tasty soup! We used brown rice instead of white and did not add the spiral pasta, we also added garlic and used chicken broth instead of beef (just personal preference). The only thing that I have to say I didn't like was that it came out very stew-like not as soupy as we like. I might use more water next time. It also made about 10 servings, a lot more than 4-6. Thanks for a great new recipe!
- 1⁄3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 cup dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup split peas
- 1⁄2 cup abc pasta (any small pasta will work) or 1⁄2 cup small shell pasta (any small pasta will work) or 1⁄2 cup pasta, rings (any small pasta will work) or 1⁄2 cup macaroni (any small pasta will work)
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 1⁄3 cup non-instant white rice
- tri-color spiral pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Be sure to use a wide-mouth 1qt. canning jars.
- Layer ingredients in the jar:.
- Bouillon, Onion Flakes, Split Peas, Small Shape Pasta, Barley, Lentils, Rice and enough tricolored spiral pasta to fill the jar.
- Attach a tag with cooking instructions: In a large kettle, brown 1 pound ground beef, or stew beef cut into bite-sized pieces, in a little olive oil.
- Remove tricolored pasta from top of jar and reserve.
- Add the rest of the jar contents to the kettle with 12 cups water.
- Let it come to a boil and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add tricolored pasta and simmer 15 minutes more.
- Serve with your favorite bread or rolls and a tossed salad.