Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Concocted by the First Class Nuts team for the ZWT3! "If You're Lonesome Tonight, stop in at our Heartbreak Hotel for a one-of-a-kind "Love-me-Tender Nut Burger" that we're sure Elvis himself would've danced in his Blue Suede Shoes for! Peanut Butter is the secret ingredient for our tender, juicy burger that's topped with all the best southern trimmin's! Including BBQ sauce, bacon, creamy coleslaw, and much, much more! Ya'll come down and see us now, ya hear?!"
- 4 large hamburger buns or 4 large rolls
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions or 2 tablespoons thinly sliced onions, if you prefer
- 4 tablespoons honey barbecue sauce, more if desired
- 4 slices white American cheese
- 4 slices lean bacon, cooked, more if desired
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 2 cups prepared creamy Coleslaw
- 4 teaspoons spicy mustard
- In large bowl, combine well the hamburger, peanut butter, garlic and finely chopped onion. *If you prefer, you can top your burgers with thinly sliced onion instead.
- Shape into four patties. Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper if desired.
- Place on hot grill and grill til almost done, turning once, about 3 minutes per side.
- Spread top of each burger with half of the bbq sauce and turn, top other side with remaining bbq sauce. Grill for 1 minute, turn burgers over, and top each with cheese.
- Grill one minute longer or til cheese has started to melt.
- During this time, toast buns if desired.
- Place burgers on bottom buns.
- Top with the rest of the ingredients in order divided evenly, breaking bacon slices in half and topping each with 2 half slices.
- Spread inside of top buns with spicy mustard and place on top of slaw.
Please, please, please be careful. Peanut allergies are on the rise, especially in young kids. I know that hiding the peanut butter and making them guess the secret ingredient sounds like fun, but it would mean a minimum of a shot and emergency room visit for my peanut allergic daughter. I haven't tried this burger but I'm sure it's amazing and so I'm giving it a good review, but please, don't hide peanuts and peanut butter from people! There are just too many people allergic to it, and a reaction can often mean death. That doesn't sound like a fun surprise to me.
So there were a LOT of modifications enacted (no onions, no BBQ, no bacon, no slaw, no mustard, added an egg for texture) but these burgers were still SOOOOO TASTY! They were crazy tender, and I used hoisin sauce on top instead of barbecue.
Wow! I'm so glad I took the plunge and tried this recipe because the burgers were fantastic. I am sad though because I didn't really taste any of the peanut butter (maybe we just need more next time ;)) but the burgers were really juicy and I'm surprised how well they held together. I forgot to brush them with barbecue sauce but I definitely will next time! Thanks!