1/6 Photos of Louisville Hot Brown
Shelby Jo's Note:
"The Louisville Hot Brown was first served at the Brown Hotel, in Louisville, Ky., in the 1930s. Crumbled bacon and a white Cheddar sauce top off this open-face sandwich, which is layered with sliced turkey and tomato. Early versions of this Kentucky original were made with country ham." --- Recipe from Country Living
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded mild white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 slices bacon
- 6 slices italian ciabatta or 6 slices other rustic bread, toasted
- 1/2 lb roast turkey breast, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1Make the cheese sauce:.
- 2In a 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook mixture, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add milk and continue to stir. Increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil. Cook for 1 more minute. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in cheeses, mustard, Tabasco sauce, and salt. Cover and keep warm.
- 3Cook the bacon:.
- 4In a large skillet, cook bacon over high heat until crisp and brown -- 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel to drain. When bacon is cool, crumble or coarsely chop.
- 5Make the sandwiches:.
- 6Preheat oven broiler. In a large ovenproof dish, arrange toasted bread slices and layer them with turkey and tomato slices. Sprinkle with pepper and spoon cheese sauce on top. Place the sandwiches under broiler and cook until sauce begins to brown lightly -- 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with bacon, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Louisville Hot Brown
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.5
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 72.7 mg
- Sodium 560.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 18.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: