Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My own concoction. This is my DD favorite soup. We love to eat it on Halloween night with Lots of Sourdough garlic toast. Yum!
- 10 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced 1 inch pieces
- 6 -8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 lb bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- salt and pepper
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- green onion, chopped
- In a large dutch oven, put potatoes, chicken broth (enough to cover potatoes), onion powder, garlic and herb seasoning, and chicken bouillon.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly stir in Monterey jack cheese until melted.
- Add cooked bacon; stir in half and half.
- (I usually just sprinkle bacon on individual bowls of soup. That way it stays crunchy!).
- Thicken to desired consistency with instant mashed potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese and chopped green onions (optional).
This was a really good potato soup. I made the recipe exactly as written. Thanks for the recipe!
This is a really great soup! I made this one for Fall PAC 2007. I used homemade chicken broth because it was what I had and cheddar cheese because again, it was what I had. I really liked this soup, the only thing I may change next time I make it and there will be a next time is leave out the bacon, my kids didn't care for it but loved the addition of the cheese in a family favorite soup. Thanks for yet another great one Liz!
This is our favorite soup.....you did great Liz! Thanks for sharing!