Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My own concoction. This is my DD favorite soup. We love to eat it on Halloween night with Lots of Sourdough garlic toast. Yum!
- 10 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced 1 inch pieces
- 6 -8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 lb bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- salt and pepper
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- green onion, chopped
- In a large dutch oven, put potatoes, chicken broth (enough to cover potatoes), onion powder, garlic and herb seasoning, and chicken bouillon.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly stir in Monterey jack cheese until melted.
- Add cooked bacon; stir in half and half.
- (I usually just sprinkle bacon on individual bowls of soup. That way it stays crunchy!).
- Thicken to desired consistency with instant mashed potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese and chopped green onions (optional).
This was a really good potato soup. I made the recipe exactly as written. Thanks for the recipe!
This is a really great soup! I made this one for Fall PAC 2007. I used homemade chicken broth because it was what I had and cheddar cheese because again, it was what I had. I really liked this soup, the only thing I may change next time I make it and there will be a next time is leave out the bacon, my kids didn't care for it but loved the addition of the cheese in a family favorite soup. Thanks for yet another great one Liz!
This is our favorite soup.....you did great Liz! Thanks for sharing!