Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mother used to make this wonderful dumpling served in broth. German in origin, this dish tastes so much better than it looks. You will be going back for seconds and thirds. My mother would grind the liver in her own meat grinder. I never had one, but if I caught the butcher at the supermarket in a good mood he would do it for me.
- 2 cups breadcrumbs, dried and ground
- 1 lb liver, ground
- 1 tablespoon dried onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 8 cups water or 8 cups milk
- Combine bread crumbs, ground liver, onions, oil, spices and eggs in a large bowl.
- Mix well.
- With your hands, take about 1/4 cup of dumpling mixture and shape into a ball.
- Cook in simmering water or milk for 45 minutes or until done on the inside. (Cut with a knife to see that it is cooked through).