Belgrader Brot (German Christmas Cookies)
photo by graffeetee
- Ready In:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 2 ounces candied citron peel, minced
- 2 ounces candied orange peel, minced
- 11 ounces unblanched almonds, ground
for the icing
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons hot water (more as needed)
- Grease and flour a large baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until fluffy.
- Add sugar gradually and continue beating until thickened and pale.
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Gradually add to egg mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in lemon rind, candied fruit and almonds.
- This dough is soft and sticky, so either oil or wet your hands before handling.
- Divide dough into thirds.
- On the baking sheet, form the dough into three long flat "loaves" spaced a few inches apart to allow for spreading. If your baking sheet is large enough, it will all fit on one sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned.
- While the cookies are baking, make the icing by combining the ingredients. You should have a spreadable consistency.
- Remove cookies from the oven and let stand a few minutes.
- Ice the loaves while they are still on the baking sheet.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then slice the loaves crosswise into approximately 1/2-3/4 inch slices. Do not wait too long before slicing, as the icing will flake off if it cools too much before you slice.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet. These freeze well and keep well.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a proofreader and graphic designer on Long Island. Lifelong love of cooking (and eating, too, of course!). It's wonderful for stress relief. Nurtures the souls as well as the body. I'd call my style "international comfort food".