Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came up with recipe when following the CSIRO Total Wellbeing diet. It's really easy to prepare and tastes great! For those on CSIRO Diet the points are: 1 Bread (Potato), 1 protein (egg/ham) and 1-1/2 vegetables (depending on size of side salad).
- 2 medium potatoes
- 2 spring onions or 2 scallions
- 1 (100 g) ham steaks
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1 -2 tablespoon white vinegar
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and boil potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Add eggs to the pot.
- Continue to boil the eggs and potatoes for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are nicely cooked through. A skewer should pass easily through the centre of the potatoes.
- Allow to cool. The above can be done the night before and the eggs and potatoes refrigerated overnight.
- Start your char-grill or pan heating up, spray lightly with oil. A grill with a bit of charcoal or character is best, as it adds a more "barbequed" flavour to the ham.
- Meanwhile, dice the cooled boiled potatoes into 1cm cubes.
- Peel the boiled eggs and chop them lengthways in half and then cut each half across into slices. Add to potatoes.
- Finely chop and add the spring onions/scallions.
- Once the grill or pan is heated, add the ham steak and cook until heated through and a little charred.
- Remove the steak from heat and allow to cool, slightly. Dice into even cubes and add.
- In a small bowl mix together lemon juice, mayonnaise, mustard and vinegar. Add water until the dressing reaches the desirable consistency.
- Pour dressing over other ingredients, season with salt/pepper, toss and divide evenly onto plates.
- Serve with a lighter side salad such as cherry tomatoes, baby spinach and cucumber.
oooh! this was my first potato salad! and it was very easy to make and a great salad!!! i would suggest doing 1 tbsp of the white vinegar instead of 2 (which i did) because i feel it overpowered the dressing a bit! but it was a really great and tasty salad!! thanks asqui!!! made for my joey's recipe swap!