Recipe by Tish
This is a yummy healthy way to have quesadillas that I recieved from a vegetarian friend. The taste is fulfilling enough for those of us not on a diet!
Top Review by invictus
I am a lover of quesadillas so this was the perfect recipe for me. I had almost everything in the house already and made it as written with wonderful results. Even someone who is not interested in using low-fat cheeses should give this recipe a try. It is delicious!
- 1⁄2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small purple onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup chopped or grated purple cabbage
- 2 cups spinach leaves, chopped and stems removed
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced sodium black beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tablespoon low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons lowfat mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup avocado, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion, carrot and cabbage in oil for 3-5 minutes.
- Add spinach, cilantro, beans and seasonings.
- Cook until spinach is wilted.
- Keep warm.
- Heat 1 tsp. canola oil in frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Spritz or brush a tortilla on both sides with a small amount of water.
- Place in the pan and cook until lightly browned and crisp.
- Spoon in the warm filling and double over.
- Sprinkle each quesadilla with cheese and place a dollop of yogurt and salsa on top.