1/3 Photos of Linda's Lemon Shrimp and Sausage With Grit Cakes
Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
I made this recipe in a cooking class this weekend, and it was really DELISH! I think it would be GREAT over rice too... This recipe takes awhile to make, but it is definately worth the effort! YUM.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, set aside zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Shrimp And Sausage Mixture
- oil, to cover surface of pan
- 8 ounces spicy sausage, 1/2-inch dice
- 2 bell peppers, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 onion, 1/2-inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, and deveined
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1To Make Sauce:.
- 2Combine hot pepper sauce, White wine, shallot, lemon juice, zest, and rice vinegar in a med. saucepan. Boil over med. heat, until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- 3Reduce heat to simmer to keep sauce warm, then add heavy cream. Stir every so often while sauce is sitting.
- 4To Make Shrimp And Sausage Mixture:.
- 5Meanwhile, heat oil in a heavy med. skillet, over med-high heat. Add sausage, bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute until the.
- 6vegetables are tender and fragrant.
- 7Add shrimp, tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, Old Bay seasoning, and salt. Saute until shrimp are opague in center.
- 8Set aside and cover, until ready to serve.
- 9Grit Cakes:.
- 10Combine milk and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- 11Add grits a little at a time, whisking constantly, to avoid lumps.
- 12Immediately reduce heat to low. Cook until creamy, stirring constantly.
- 13Pour onto baking sheet, lined with a silpat or saran wrap.
- 14Place another silpat or saran wrap directly on surface of the grits.
- 15Place another baking sheet on top, and press together to evenly.
- 16flatten grits to about 1/2" thick.
- 17Remove top baking sheet, and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- 18After grits have firmed take out of the refrigerator, and remove top silpat or saran wrap.
- 19Using a lg. round or heart shaped cutter, cut circles or heart shapes out of the grits to form cakes.
- 20Pour about 1/4" of oil into the bottom of a lg. round skillet. Heat the pan on med-high.
- 21When oil is hot, place a few grit cakes in the skillet. Fry until bottoms are golden, then flip. Do not crowd pan.
- 22Transfer cooked grit cakes to cooling rack lined with paper towels, until ready to assemble.
- 23To Assemble:.
- 24Place one or two grit cakes onto each dish.
- 25Top with shrimp and sausage mixture, and then drizzle sauce on top of mixture.
- 26Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Linda's Lemon Shrimp and Sausage With Grit Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.7
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 145.4 mg
- Sodium 1045.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 24.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning