Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
I made this recipe in a cooking class this weekend, and it was really DELISH! I think it would be GREAT over rice too... This recipe takes awhile to make, but it is definately worth the effort! YUM.
- 1⁄3 cup hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, set aside zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Shrimp And Sausage Mixture
- oil, to cover surface of pan
- 8 ounces spicy sausage, 1/2-inch dice
- 2 bell peppers, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 onion, 1/2-inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, and deveined
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grits
- oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- To Make Sauce:.
- Combine hot pepper sauce, White wine, shallot, lemon juice, zest, and rice vinegar in a med. saucepan. Boil over med. heat, until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Reduce heat to simmer to keep sauce warm, then add heavy cream. Stir every so often while sauce is sitting.
- To Make Shrimp And Sausage Mixture:.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a heavy med. skillet, over med-high heat. Add sausage, bell peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute until the.
- vegetables are tender and fragrant.
- Add shrimp, tomatoes, Cajun seasoning, Old Bay seasoning, and salt. Saute until shrimp are opague in center.
- Set aside and cover, until ready to serve.
- Grit Cakes:.
- Combine milk and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add grits a little at a time, whisking constantly, to avoid lumps.
- Immediately reduce heat to low. Cook until creamy, stirring constantly.
- Pour onto baking sheet, lined with a silpat or saran wrap.
- Place another silpat or saran wrap directly on surface of the grits.
- Place another baking sheet on top, and press together to evenly.
- flatten grits to about 1/2" thick.
- Remove top baking sheet, and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- After grits have firmed take out of the refrigerator, and remove top silpat or saran wrap.
- Using a lg. round or heart shaped cutter, cut circles or heart shapes out of the grits to form cakes.
- Pour about 1/4" of oil into the bottom of a lg. round skillet. Heat the pan on med-high.
- When oil is hot, place a few grit cakes in the skillet. Fry until bottoms are golden, then flip. Do not crowd pan.
- Transfer cooked grit cakes to cooling rack lined with paper towels, until ready to assemble.
- To Assemble:.
- Place one or two grit cakes onto each dish.
- Top with shrimp and sausage mixture, and then drizzle sauce on top of mixture.
- Serve immediately.