Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this recipe and it makes for a great last minute what is in the fridge salad to go along with all grilled meats! It is great for a cookout or picnic. It can be a small salad or a large one. dress it up with what vefies you like to make it your own. Use crumbled goat cheese or the traditional bulgarian sirene cheese.
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced large
- 1 large cucumber, diced large (peel optional)
- 2 green peppers, chopped (roasted or raw)
- 2 red peppers (roasted or raw)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (or 6 green onions, sliced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Place tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, onion and parsley in a large bowl.
- Place oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste in a screw-top jar. Cover and shake until well blended.
- Toss dressing with vegetables, turn into a serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Top with crumbled cheese.
Find a nice soft goat cheese if you can't find Bulgarian white cheese, don't use feta. OK, maybe if you like feta it's a good substitute, but I can't stand feta and I loved this salad when I had it in Bulgaria.
This tastes exactly like the shopska salad I had in Bulgaria! Thanks for sharing!
Skipped the onion and added sliced radishes. Be careful on the size of the bell peppers as they can really overpower the other ingredients if there is too much. A very refreshing salad.